Thursday, October 02, 2008

worst week ever

Wow! Where can I begin?

Michael's Grandma passed away last Thursday. Her viewing & funeral were both so beautiful. She looked so beautiful, and she did not suffer while she went. She waited for her two sons to arrive by her side and then slowly let go after a few minutes.

She was an amazing woman. She had so many difficult challenges in her lifetime that she overcame. Her youngest child, Larry, was hit by a car and killed, later in her life her husband, Ray, (we gave that for Lennon's middle name: Rae) died from heart failure from Rheumatic Fever as a child. Then she lost another son, Kent, in the Vietnam war. She was left with two boys, David & Harold to care for. She busted her butt and worked so hard for all of them to have anything, including food. She never complained either. That is a trait I need to work on. I complain about the most meaningless things.

She later was remarried and lived a great life with her husband Mac. She loved to go camping & she especially loved to bowl. Her highest game was a 288!!





One of our visits to Grandma Mac with Lennon.



Her Obituary Photo

Michael describes her as "old school"! It really is a great description if you knew her. All of her things were old and she never wanted to buy something new because she saw no reason when her's were perfectly fine! We have a lot of neat things all over our house that were her's and we cherish them. I hung up a cute ceramic with an angel painted on it on Lennon's wall that says "always tell the truth." I think it's from 1950.

We both loved her very much and it was very hard to let her go, even though it was definitely for the best.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


All of us visiting Grandpa's grave on Memorial day 2008

This morning I received a call that my grandmother's lungs were full of fluid and she would not have much longer to live. I went over there just after Lennon woke up. Her breathing sounded horrible, and honestly it was very hard to watch because we did not want her to suffer like this. We were giving her morphine to try and ease her pain, but there was nothing we could do for her breathing.


Grandma with 1 week old Lennon on Christmas 2007

I stayed over there all day and into the night. Her breathing suddenly changed and we could not hear the fluid. This only meant her breaths were getting shallower. My Mom, Aunt Patsy, Uncle Bill, Kari and Bev (obviously me too) were all there surrounding her. It was a surreal experience. I have never watched anyone die. Slowly her breath got even more shallow. She finally took her last breath and then we waited for her heart to stop. This is the most intense thing I have ever experienced. You may not want to hear about it either, I apologize. I wanted to write it down so I would not forget. She finally looked peaceful after her few hard days of fighting. My Grandma was a fighter, we call her a RALLY GIRL! I think she was holding on in the end to wait for all of her children to arrive, but even after they came she pulled her usual rally.



Grandma with all of her Utah great grand kids!

My Grandma was so special & she was amazing. She taught me how to iron, set the perfect table, how to throw the perfect party, a "party with pizazz", always to have your eyebrows done (she was jealous my eyebrows were naturally dark) & how to wrap the most beautiful packages. They were so pretty I hardly wanted to wrip them apart to find out what was inside. She thought all women should wear lipstick. She called mascara Maybelline and light bulbs - light GLOBES. She was such a wonderful role model and a hard worker. She was always willing to help ANYONE in need. I hope I can make her proud. She accomplished so many great things in her lifetime. I love her so much and I hope she knows how special she was to me.

We are thankful that both of our grandmas were able to see Lennon & hold her, and that we got some pictures of it.


This is Grandma holding her 2 youngest grandchildren, Avery & Lennon, on August 26, 2008. Her 88th birthday!



The Nodilo's Four Generation Pictures


Honestly if I can be even half of the women these ladies were I think I might have succeeded at life!

They were from the "greatest generation". Our generation will never be like theirs.

RIP Grandmas WE LOVE YOU.

9 comments:

CKB said...

Oh Starr, I am so sorry. I totally understand loosing a grandparent. My grandpa passed away one month before Stella was born and I miss him every day. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

CKB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Z and S said...

Starr, you did a beautiful job highlighting all of their characteristics. I am very sorry to hear the news, but do know that they are in a much better and happier place! Stay strong.

brie said...

s, i'm so sorry. what an awful week. at least it's over, right? :( your week might even be worse than mine, and i even found out a friend of mine killed herself. but at least i didn't lose two at one time...take care hon.

The Nelsons said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. It is so hard to lose someone you love and look up to. I still miss my Mema everyday! Remember the good times you spent together and keep a place in your heart for them always. Take care.

Megan said...

I am so sad to hear about both of your losses. I didn't know Mike's grandma but I did know yours Starr... and she was the sweetest person ever! Very classy and loving. We need to have a girls night out!!! Get away for a night... What do ya say?! Love you guys!

jamie said...

starr, i am so so so sorry about your grandma. i can only imagine how that would be the worst week ever.
if you do decide to take your cute daughter by the halloween house, stop by our place first. chase loves walking down there. she makes us do it every night. so we go with you.

jamie said...

i ment to say "we will go with you"
haha

Vic, Linds, and the girls... said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a loved one is so hard, and impacts your life more than you ever think it will. My thoughts are with you...